Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 11: Soaking Up Spring


This afternoon the weather was too lovely to stay indoors. So after a walk through the garden, as I was ready to settle down with a quiet book on this peaceful Saturday, I took my novel of choice out with me onto the back deck. I settled down on a comfortable wicker couch and turned page after page, taking in each word, as a relaxed breeze played ethereal music on the wind chimes overhead.


I heard earlier today that it is supposed to grow cold again, before the spring months end, so I'm taking as much opportunity as I can to be outside soaking up all the deliciousness of a warm spring. This evening, after an early dinner, it was still warm enough for me to go outside again! I went straight to my vegetable garden. The raised beds were bare except for a dusting of weeds in one. One raised bed I had already weeded and tended some months before. The other stood sadly neglected. But the time for gardening is again upon us. Then and there I went to the garden shed, selected a few tools (a rake, a pitchfork, some gloves, etc.), and went to work. With the pitchfork I turned over the crusty upper dirt to reveal dark and rich soil underneath. Soon I will need to start buying seeds. I don't want to make the same mistake as last year which was to spontaneously want to start planting in July! This year I will be more careful with my planning. I'm going to devote a whole raised bed to squash. I love growing squash, and it did so poorly last year. I hope this year's crop is better, which means we'll need a good, hot summer. Spring has barely begun and already I'm thinking of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment